Monday, May 10, 2010

Lockets

I was recently commissioned to do a necklace that was more  like a family memory piece.  I was given several lockets and asked to assemble them with small images of the family inclosed in each of the lockets.  It was a 50 year Birthday present from the Mother to her beloved daughter.



I used a strand of antique jet black beads that I had bought years ago. I  have always been fond of jet beads,  the deep dark facets are modest  but still carry and understated elegance,  I have heard that jet beads are also called mourning beads.  I guess I held on to them all these years because I was waiting for that perfect project.  I kept visualizing this piece with a vintage look, something that held the history of other women who walked the paths that  lead us up to today.
















Small photos were placed carefully inside the lockets with accents of Forget Me Nots.  A small gold pendant of Mary about the size of my pinky finger nail dangles from the silver heart shape locket.  It was given to the Mother after she gave birth to her child 50 years ago from St. Mary's Hospital.

I was happy to have assisted in making these memories into a wearable necklace that is hopefully something special to cherish and hand down to future memory makers to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment